Tuesday, November 16, 2010

FCKH8!








Guess what came in the mail yesterday?
Emma wore her FCKH8 shirt to school today, loud and clear. She was ready to explain to anyone of authority what the shirt meant, what it meant to her, and why she thinks it's appropriate. Just in case, she brought an extra shirt; we agreed this morning that if anyone was truly offended by the shirt (because it really looks like the F-word), she would change. Her intent was not to offend, but to bring awareness to gay rights.
Well, she made it through the day, attracting lots of attention, thus giving her many opportunities to spread her message. Only one teacher was concerned about the shirt's appropriateness, but didn't fuss about it. I did, toward the end of the day, send out an email to Emma's teachers and some of the others who might come in contact with her explaining why I allowed her to wear the shirt (oh, did I mention I got a FCKH8 hoodie for myself? And no, I would not ever wear it to work. It's a little different for me) and they were really supportive of her.
Have I mentioned how amazing my girl is?

1 comment:

  1. You have an amazing girl because she has an amazing mom...and I'm sure Emma has her own amazingness that comes completely from her own soul.

    ReplyDelete